60 years since communist regime passed resolution to destroy historic city of Most

Photo: Regional museum Most

On 26 March 1964, the Czechoslovak government decided to liquidate the old city of Most to make way for new coal mines and apartments to house the miners who would be working there. The demolition of the historic centre of the town lasted 23 years, finally finishing on 1 April 1987.

The history of Most – or Brüx, as it was known by its majority German-speaking population – dates back to the mid-13th century, when the settlement received the status of a royal city. In 1273, it received the privileges of Přemysl II, which included, for example, the right to imprison debtors.

See the rest here.

Author: Klára Stejskalová