The Automatic Mills in Pardubice, one of the most famous buildings by the pioneering Czech architect and designer Josef Gočár, is currently undergoing a major transformation into a new multi-functional public space.
The monumental structure, standing on the bank of the Chrudimka River, was originally designed for the Winternitz brothers. Construction of the mills, built of red brick with stone elements, started in 1909. The façade of the towering, geometric building is reminiscent of the ancient Babylonian Gate of Ishtar.
The Automatic Mills worked without interruption until 2013, when the Goodmills company ceased operations there. Two years later, the building was declared a national heritage site.
See the rest here.
Author: Ruth Fraňková